The Chickasha Public Library challenges you to get active with your reading! To encourage our community to walk, the Chickasha Public Library is hosting a Walking Challenge with a literary theme. We have selected four books where the characters all go on journeys that require walking. Can you walk the Appalachian trail or the yellow brick road? Participants who sign up for the Walking Challenge can use their device to track their steps, or they will receive a pedometer provided by the Oklahoma Department of Libraries. The overall goal of this challenge is to, as a community, walk the distance around the Earth 24,901 miles, which equals 49,802,000 steps by August 2020, with individual goals of improving the number of actions taken daily. The library offers many fun ways to get active while reading and special Health Literacy classes, details located below. For additional information, please call the library at 405-222-6075.
Walking Book Challenges:
- October - The Stand, by Stephen King - 756 miles
- January - Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail, by Ben Montgomery - 2,190 miles
- May - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum - 60 miles
- June - The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien -1350 miles
You can sign up for the Walking Challenge by filling out a short google form (click here), by calling the library at 405-222-6075, or by coming into the Chickasha Public Library located at 527 W Iowa Ave.
You can turn in your steps online using this form link.
- October - The Stand, by Stephen King - Distance traveled in the book, 756 miles
- January - Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail, by Ben Montgomery - Distance traveled in the book, 2,190 miles
- May - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum - Approximate distance of the yellow brick road, 60 miles
- June - The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien - Approximate distance from the Shire to Mordor, 1350 miles
The Chickasha Public Library's Walking Book Club picks back up on May 14th and will continue for six weeks. Join Courtney via Facebook live on Thursdays at 5:30 pm for the virtual 20 – 30-minute walks. Walk along with her and talk about the book. This session, we will be reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. There are illustrated copies available for checkout at the library or there virtual copies available. Let's walk the distance Dorothy travels in the book, roughly 60 miles! To signup for the book club and reserve your copy, please call the library at 405-222-6075.
The Chickasha Public Library is partnering with the Oklahoma Healthy Aging Initiative (OHAI) to bring free Health Literacy classes to the library. Please note that registration is required for these classes. You can register in person at the library located at 527 W Iowa Ave or by calling the library at 405-222-6075. All of these classes will be held in the Library meeting room. These classes are funded in part through the Oklahoma Department of Libraries with a federal grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
More details are coming soon.